Breast augmentation is one of the most popular cosmetic procedures around the world for many years. Many women use breast augmentation to higher levels of self-confidence and happiness.
It is important to learn and understand what to expect post-surgery and how long it will take for to feel completely recovered
How long will full recovery take?
It’s important to understand that every woman’s body is unique, therefore there is no exact timeline for recovery. However, most doctors agree that full recovery will take on average 6 weeks, and some women may notice that they feel fine after about a week.
Your surgeon will be assess your overall health and give you a more definitive timeline prior to your procedure taking place.
Postoperative recovery stages
Once you have woken from anesthesia, you will more than likely feel sore and groggy. Women often describe the feeling as a bit like a hangover, however these effects should wear off in a matter of hours.
The first five to seven days
Usually it will be the first three to give days which make you feel the most uncomfortable. Your surgeon will most likely prescribe medication to ease the pain.
After the first few day, majority of women can then manage postoperative discomfort with over the counter painkillers. Most women are able to return to desk jobs approximately a week after surgery.
The next few weeks
Patients are encourage to slowly ease back into light exercise and their normal daily routine after the first week. At this point the discomfort should be minimal, but your surgeon will advise you to refrain from strenuous activity for example running horseback riding or rigorous workouts. Heavy lifting is also advised against until you are fully recovered.
Patients who have labour-intensive jobs will be recommended by the surgeon to remain out of work for at least 3 weeks.
Usually, after two months, majority of patients are able to resume all normal activities. However it is vital to follow your surgeons care instructions closely to enable your implants to heal properly and to ensure there are no complications.
Tips for a smooth recovery
There are a few things which you should expect in the days and weeks following your breast enhancement these include;
- It is normal for a considerable amount of soreness and swelling. To help reduce this pain and potentially speed up healing, it is recommended that you invest in a few recovery bras. Recovery garments are specially designed to maximize post-op comfort, but also provide implant stability, increased circulation and mild compression to ensure lymph drainage.
- Be sure to get plenty of rest as well as keeping your kitchen stocked up with healthy foods and drinks which hydrate you to help speed up your healing. You will be sore and tired, so keeping light and easy foods on hand will help stimulate your appetite.
- Prepare your home and wardrobe before the procedure. Complete all housework, clothes shopping and any meal prep beforehand so that you can fully rest when you return home.
- Where possible ask a friend of partner for assistance following your surgery, especially if you have children. For a few weeks, whilst recovering, you will be unable to pick up small children.
- You will be required to wear a bra at all times following the surgery, it is important to look for features such as breathable fabric, seamless design, adjustable straps and a pressure-free fit.
Enjoying your new figure
Asking as many questions as you can and voicing any concerns if you have any can help you have a better overall experience, peace of mind and achieve a better outcome.